The Iberville Parish Sheriff’s Department is the chief law enforcement agency in Iberville Parish, Louisiana. We work closely with municipal law enforcement agencies in Iberville to maintain a safe community for all of Iberville’s residents.
The department’s administrative office is located in the Iberville Parish Courthouse on Meriam Street in Plaquemine; and it has sub-stations in Maringouin (north Iberville) and St. Gabriel (east Iberville).
Our road patrol units are highly visible, and act a crime deterrent. In addition, our Crime Scene Unit and Detective Division have both the training and tools to investigate crimes effectively and quickly. Our department is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and technology, and we are actively engaged in the community, working to earn citizens’ trust so that they will help us keep our community safe and crime-free.
Our goal is to be recognized as one of the best law enforcement departments in the United States.
About Sheriff Brett Stassi
Sheriff Brett Stassi was sworn in on July 1, 2012. Prior to this time, he had a 30-year career in law enforcement, administration and community involvement. Following is his bio:
• Graduate of St. John High School, 1979
• Criminal Justice Degree from Nicholls State University, 1981
Some of the courses he completed:
• Scientific Crime Investigators Institute at LSU
• Certified Basic Training Course at the LSU
• Crime Prevention by the Louisiana Crime Resistance Institute
• Narcotics Smuggling Seminar at LSU
• Nuts & Bolts Continuing Education Program on variety of law enforcement matters
• Began working for the Iberville Sheriff’s Office upon graduation from St. John High School
• 2 years as road deputy with the Iberville Sheriff’s Office
• 9 years as a Detective in the Iberville Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigation Division
• Appointed to the Louisiana Sheriff’s Task Force
• 19 years as Investigator within the District Attorney’s Office
• 5 years as Investigator/Office Manager of the DA’s Iberville Office, including supervision of a staff of 20 people and responsibility for all day-to-day operations
• Married to Caroline Engolio Stassi, the father of three children, 2 grandchildren
• Life-long resident of Iberville Parish
• Member of the Knights of Columbus Council 970
• Member of St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church
• Participates in a variety of benefit fundraisers for charitable/community organizations
Message from Sheriff Stassi
Welcome to the Iberville Sheriff’s Department website. This new, improved website provides numerous ways for citizens to get information and effectively communicate with the Sheriff’s Department staff. In addition, it provides easy ways to pay taxes or traffic tickets. This is one step implemented to better communicate with our citizens. We also will be more visible and actively involved in the community.
As I begin my first term as sheriff, my goals are to improve both cooperation and communication with municipal law enforcement agencies so that we can to pool intelligence and resources to help deter crime and solve crimes. I have already implemented a state-of-the-art crime scene investigation unit, and will work to make sure the unit has the training necessary to gather the evidence needed to get criminal convictions.
Other goals are to implement effective juvenile crime prevention programs, continue a visible and active road patrol, and demand that all Sheriff’s Department personnel be community friendly, well-trained and respectful.
I am committed and determined in our goal of making the Iberville Sheriff’s Department one of the best law enforcement departments in the United States. I hope you join with us in this bold vision, and together we will make Iberville Parish a great place to live and work.
Sheriff Brett Stassi